Post traumatic stress disorder after cancer survival is real!

"Your cured, you should be happy." is the answer I got when I visited my oncologist for a follow up but the nurse had moved up my appointment because I called her in tears and told her I thought something was wrong because I was crying all the time. "I feel like I'm on a sinking ship." I told her. She understood. She had been thru cancer herself years before.
 I didn't know what was wrong with me. Sure, I had been thru a war, hell and back basically and I had done it all with a smile on my face, taking care of my 3 girls and keeping my eyes on the finish line. But when the finish line came, I wasn't finished.
 September 9th I had what I thought would be my last surgery. I had braved the path of 5 surgeries, 4 rounds of chemo and then when I thought it was all wrapped up in a nice neat bow, even my "last" surgery had been scheduled for a year to the day of my first surgery. Then 9 days later the hematoma broke loose and hell came with it. I lost a liter of blood and I became broken. My wall fell down and the waters that had been being help back started to flood my life. I cried at the drop of a hat, I was short with my husband, moody. I cried folding laundry because "how am I ever going to get a job, I'm not good at anything?" I was exhausted because the hot flashes and my mind kept me awake at night.
 When I saw my primary care doctor she was sympathetic, she has been from the first time I saw her before I was diagnosed. She said I had PTSD and it's no wonder after what I had been thru. She put me on a low dose anti-anxiety medication and I was a new person. She said not to worry, the further I get away from the surgeries the better I will feel. I'm still forging ahead and trying to keep my head in the right place. It's a marathon not a race, even if from the first appointment with my surgeon, I had my eye on the finish line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Laundry won't fold it's self.

Embrace your community. Even Batman knew he needed the Justice League, you don't have to Move this Mountain on your own.