“How are you feeling? Your smiling, but your always smiling”

 2 years ago. I had had my gallbladder out and ended up back in the ER because of intense pain. I remember checking into the ER and I had to keep talking my self out of passing out from the pain. I told the woman behind the glass, I just had surgery this morning and I've had a bi-lateral mastectomy, 3 babies and this was the worst pain out of it all. I spent 3 days in the hospital and at one point my doctor came to see me and asked how I was feeling. He said "Your smiling, but your always smiling." That was me, my theory was to "Just Keep Smiling" My hair was really starting to grow back and I was gearing up for my biggest surgery. You would think the first was the biggest but the rebuilding process proved more complicated. I earned my wings, my cape and a fast pass thru the pearly gates the past couple of years. For someone who had never had surgery before having 5 in one year was crazy. I am really trying to hold on to the memory of right before I fell asleep for each surgery. I remember the first one. Both of my surgeons came to see me before they put me under. I remember the “Greys Anatomy” team fussing around getting things ready. The next surgery I remember the anesthesiologist telling me I was going to feel like I had a margarita. I thought that was funny. I remember the third. The big one. I remember the OR room and I can imagine the surgery. It was a long one and complicated. The 4th I remember the before and the after. It was the shortest surgery and the only one I went home the same day (besides the gallbladder but I ended up back in the hospital for 3 days after that one so..)but 9 days later after the easy surgery was the real emergency. Hematoma, so much pressure, the strongest pain meds don’t touch the pressure of a liter of blood bursting thru a 9 day old incision. Too far? I was still managing a smile thru the Lamaze breathing to get thru. They asked me if I wanted to wait to be put under until my surgeon arrived and I said it would be nice to see him but go ahead and put me under. When I woke up I Remember the nurse was a guy and he kept talking about his dog. I fought to stay awake to be polite and to listen to his story. Then I couldn’t sleep. I had lost a liter of blood during surgery and I can only assume they had to give me epinephrine during the surgery because as exhausted as I was I just couldn’t sleep. I remember having to go to the bathroom a lot and not having a tv in recovery. It was a long night. The next day the current “Greys Anatomy” team visited and I felt bad because I burst into tears and asked to see my surgeon. I hadn’t seen him at all and I was scared. I was afraid to go home because we didn’t know what caused this 1% chance complication what if it happened again? It didn’t and after a few weeks I was doing better physically but that is when the emotional stuff caught up with me. I had moved a serious mountain but now what do I do with the space left behind? #HopeMovesMountians

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Laundry won't fold it's self.

Embrace your community. Even Batman knew he needed the Justice League, you don't have to Move this Mountain on your own.