The Laundry won't fold it's self.

This is a continuation of my last post in that it talks about embracing your community. My first visit with my "Team" at UCLA was like running a marathon. We arrived at the hospital at 7 AM to see my surgical oncologist. I had researched her in advance and knew she was the Director of the Revlon Breast Center and she was a "world-renouned surgical oncologist"  words I made sure to use when telling my parents I had breast cancer hoping to ease their worry. I also met with my reconstructive surgeon who would turn out to be a great person and not just an amazing surgeon. I remember sitting in the room after he left thinking "He doesn't have to be my best friend, he just has to do a good job." The first visit with him I felt like a deer in the head lights and apparently my left headlight was a lot bigger than my right because he asked me "Has your left breast always been that much bigger than the left, or is the tumor?" Me: "Um... it's been bigger but I'm nursing, so... " Dr: "Your nursing, why are you still nursing? I can't believe your still nursing" Me: "I have a 5 month old and I just found out about this last week. I can't just quit cold turkey". I'm really happy that he ended up being a truly amazing person who I would recommend in a heartbeat. I also saw a counselor, that reminded both Scott and I of Tom Cruise, she was a woman but she had this really cool Tom Cruise vibe, I had pre-op labs, x-rays, genetic testing... it was an 9 hour day. When I got home I was so exhausted I could barley move. When I started trying to catch up on emails there was one that will always stand out in my memory. A close friend who knew what I was going thru wrote and said, "I won't take no for an answer. On Friday's I'm going to come and pick up your laundry. I'll bring it back clean and folded on Sunday and I won't take no for an answer." I started to write back to tell her that it was a very sweet offer but I could do my own laundry. Suddenly it hit me, the exhaustion overwhelmed my body and I truly didn't have the strength to even email her back. That was the moment I realized that I had to learn to say yes. I had to accept help that friends offered or I would never get thru this. I started saying yes when friends offered to help me with the kids, the laundry, bringing groceries and meals, bringing fresh veggies to juice. We said yes to help and I'm so thankful. I think about the wonderful things friends, family, even friends of friends did for us and I am overwhelmed with gratitude. I have seen people talk about how they lost friends when they were diagnosed but for me it was like uncovering a hidden civilization of incredibly loving friends.  For weeks after each of my surgeries I wasn't able to even hold Annabelle let alone fold laundry or sweep the floor. Even opening a jar, reaching for a glass in the cabinet or cutting a carrot with a knife was a challenge for a long time. If you are ever looking for ideas on how to help a friend who has had surgery a Molly Maids gift card or gifting them with someone to help clean their house is one of the most helpful things you can do. It's so hard to watch the laundry pile up or the dust build up or not being able to change your own sheets. Take that burden from your friend they will love you for life. Just like I do.
 Our community rallied around us. You have to be open and accepting and appreciative. I wish I could have personally sent a thank you note to every person who helped us but I have to believe they know how thankful I am and the way I live my life is a reflection of that gratitude. Hope Moves Mountains but accepting help is what frees you up to fight harder, longer and it makes you stronger.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embrace your community. Even Batman knew he needed the Justice League, you don't have to Move this Mountain on your own.