Mommys with Cancer

It was my first check up with my oncologist after I had finished chemo. I sat in the waiting room waiting my turn. I was sitting next to this woman with spiral blond hair. We struck up a conversation, she said she was sorry to tell me but she was there because her cancer had come back. We talked for a while and she told me about a group that she had founded called Mommys with Cancer. I had seen the flyer, I had even saved it in the file on my desk but hadn't had the courage to call and come to a meeting. It was a sign. After talking to her I attended the next meeting and have been going to the group ever since. This support group has meant so much to me. There is nothing like being able to talk about what is going on with your body than with someone who is or has gone thru the same thing. The emotional toll it all takes is unlike anything you will ever go thru. Being able to sit at the table with all these amazing women, some who have been cancer free for years and some who are just starting their cancer journey. We all have something valuable to bring to the group. There were times I was at the meeting not saying much just listening to what everyone had to say and there have been times when I was talking and crying, spilling out all the feelings I was going thru. This group helped me in so many ways and I am excited to be able to still be a part of it. Their fund raiser is coming up soon so you will see me post again about it but if you feel moved to donate to help a woman in need pay bills or someone going thru surgery have someone come and help clean or have a meal delivered the web site is mommyswithcancer.org


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embrace your community. Even Batman knew he needed the Justice League, you don't have to Move this Mountain on your own.

The Laundry won't fold it's self.